Sunday, March 29, 2020

Art and Fermentation-Jenna Sutela

Here is a video I found interesting mainly because it encompasses three of my favorite things: art, microbiology, and food. The body is an ecosystem in itself, and it's important to maintain a healthy balance of microorganisms in the gut.
Over the past few months, I've been making my own yogurt, kimchi, kombucha, and some cheeses; I've recently wanted to start making my own sourdough since yeast has been apparently flying off the shelves recently. These processes, I believe, are sustainable and a great way to pass the time. I look forward to looking into this and maybe come up with an idea for project 3 that relates to this topic.


Jenna Sutela, still from Nam-Gut (the microbial breakdown of language), 2017. Courtesy of the artist.
Jenna Sutela, still from Nam-Gut (the microbial breakdown of language), 2017. Courtesy of the artist.
Short article: https://www.bannerrepeater.org/nam-gut-by-jenna-sutela
https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-art-worlds-strangest-new-trend-fermentation
Video: https://vimeo.com/225088034

2 comments:

  1. I found this post interesting because it broadened the idea for what project three could potentially be. With the limited resources available to us this feels like a very attainable potential project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art and fermentation is understandably popular now as the world at large is getting more connected to the gut. The idea of using all the living organisms as material is interesting because it becomes a collaboration among millions.

      Delete

I'd also like to share my Time-Lapse of plant growth that I made for my thesis exhibition. In order to allow the viewers to observe t...