Wednesday, March 25, 2020

JOSEPH CORNELL


Joseph Cornell video here

Although he rarely ventured far from New York, Joseph Cornell was able to create intricate worlds of his own from the solitude of his basement. In this episode of Anatomy of an Artwork, discover Cornell’s enchanting Soap Bubble Set, a perfect example of the artist’s miniaturized realms constructed from everyday ephemera. With symmetrically laid out clay pipes, glasses, maps and organic detritus, Cornell built a vast referential network of found items that encapsulated his many interests from across the arts & sciences.

More here and here

2 comments:

  1. I really like the portability of Cornell's pieces. I think their aesthetic and presentation work well in various display settings which is something I need to consider more as I go into project 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His display of the Soap Bubble Set all in a row with the cases opened, all behind a glass case was very powerful- open and inviting but with a set boundary. Like we learned in class, these displays were almost like his own personal little Wunderkammer's to be seen by others. My favorite part was his use of the glass with sand in it, to emphasize this idea of time inevitably passing. Interestingly, glass is "melted" sand, so I found it very intelligent to pair these two objects together. This piece brought life and visibility back to typically ordinary found objects, something I want to hone in on with my ideas for project 3.

    ReplyDelete

I'd also like to share my Time-Lapse of plant growth that I made for my thesis exhibition. In order to allow the viewers to observe t...